Sunday, October 12, 2008

What I have learned

Today I bought a double edition of the Sunday paper. (Double the coupons, too). I found the most usable coupons in the manufacturer's section. We shop at Target and I think these are the only type of coupons they accept. There was a Target flier in the paper, but it only lists their store sales. Another bonus I discovered that the manufacturer's coupons are good for several months. I separated them by the month. I would have liked to sit down and make my grocery list using the coupons but there was no time today. So I took them all and tried to nail down a few items that I could purchase using these coupons. There were several for items that we were needing, however, the Target brand of those items were signifigantly less expensive than the name brand minus the coupon price.

Today we only used one coupon. We saved one dollar and the paper was two dollars, so based on my first try we are slightly in the hole, but there are a couple of coupons that come to mind that can be used in the coming months. I am excited to see what coupons I can find next week. I might not get the double paper next time. I did read some of the paper this afternoon and I plan to recycle everything that was not cut out.

I almost gave up after today's dismal performance, but I remember the lady on Oprah saying it takes a little practice. I have also heard that shopping at discount stores like Target or Walmart are cheaper than just regular grocery stores.

Hopefully next week will be more successful.

3 comments:

Chrissy Cross said...

Okay, so I buy a lot of Target/WalMart brand items and I have noticed that they are still way cheaper even with a coupon. Sooooo, what is the trick?? How does that lady do it? There must be trick.

Jenny said...

Today i did find a site that listed a few Target only coupons. I googled manufacturers coupons and followed a few links to a site called mommy saves big. She had store coupons to several different places. I wonder if doubling store sales and manufacturer coupons is the secret.

opalessence said...

I am in the midst of this same experiment. I am finding that with a family of three, two of which are the only eaters, it takes more time and energy than it's worth. I still keep an eye on the sales and try to target our meals around what's on sale, but try to not worry too much over it. For me, I am more interested in what is healthy than what is cheap. I don't agree with the 30 minutes of planning a week they said on Oprah it takes. I think it takes alot longer. I agree- there must be a trick- and that trick must be time and experience. haha!