Saturday, October 11, 2008

Coupons

I was watching Oprah one day this week. I don't watch all of them, just the episodes I find interesting. This day the topic was thrifty living. A woman was interviewed who has saved her family tons of money grocery shopping using coupons. They challenged her to shop for a full weeks groceries, using coupons of course, and the goal was to see how much she could have the final total lowered. She got over $120 in groceries brought down to under $40 dollars. I was amazed.

I have tried to look for coupons online in the past. Most of the sites I found want you to become a member and there are so many to choose from. The free sites all appear to offer the same set of coupons. The coupon guru suggests buying several Sunday papers to find coupons. I think I will start with one and see what I find. I may have to shop at another store because I'm not sure that Target accepts coupons.

We don't buy a lot of groceries each week but I believe there is a way to get more for less money. I'm sure I may have to do some research. Hopefully it will be worth the effort. I'm excited to try!

On another note, Tim did pass his first certification test!! One down and one to go. The final test won't be until the end of next semester, then its off to find a job.

1 comment:

Chrissy Cross said...

I saw that same Oprah!! I look at the coupons in our newspaper every week and cut the ones for stuff that I know I will buy. I really don't know how that lady does it though, because a lot of times, I end up saving $5 to $10, but that is all. I think that she must have stores that do double coupons or really good sales or she can get good coupons. Most of the coupons in our paper are for stuff like Prevacid or Hair Dye, which I never use. So, let me know how it goes. And if you save a bunch of $$, tell me how.